Sunday, April 5, 2015

Free

Happy Easter! It has been a very chill week here at Timberline. On Monday a small group of us went to Ravencrest our sister school, for a few days of spring break. It was a fun couple of days. Over in Estes Park they are known for their great rock climbing. So just about as soon as we got there me and my buds (Travis & Ben) went off to do a little bit of free climbing. After about 3 hours we made it out to the peak of the ridge and back to the Chalet. It was quite a different experience than climbing attached to a line. You have to be very sure about what you grab and where you step. If you aren't then you will end up in a lot of trouble real quick. The coolest part of the afternoon was when we descended 100 to 130 feet down the face and the through the cracks at the end of the ridge.






We had our Basketball grudge match on Tuesday night, we played great however we came up just shy and lost by 3. Final score Ravencrest 35 Timberline 32. It was a fun game none the less.
 We stopped and bummed around Boulder for a few hours on the way back on Wednesday, checking out downtown and getting some lunch. Our group got back later that Night.


View of Estes from the top of the ridge











For most of the week it has been really quiet around the lodge as most of the students wont be back until later Sunday night.

As I sit and write this on Easter Sunday I think back on my year out here at Timberline. Our year verse keeps playing over and over in my mind.

John 17:22-23
22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.

These are the words of Jesus while he is praying to his father just before he is betrayed and taken prisoner. Just think about that for a moment. The glory that God the father gave to Jesus, Jesus then gave to his followers. Why? So that the world will know that God the father sent him and loved us as he did his son. 
Not just loved those who were following him but THE WORLD! That's big right there. Just a few more verses that come to mind as I see people posting stuff on Facebook and what not this Easter and most every Easter for that matter. I have seen quite often this verse - John 19:30

When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.


So many times we look at this and just pass over it and say "yep Jesus died for my sins". Problem is that he didn't just die like it was what he had coming to him. No he GAVE his spirit. His life was not taken from him, rather he Gave his spirit for us because God the father loved us as he did his son. 


Hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

I want to point something in verse 2 that just doesn't seem to be something you would naturally see paired with an instrument for one of the most gruesome punishments of all time. Joy, that doesn't seem to naturally go with a cross. More like fear, terror or dread but not joy. But that's the beauty of it. It was the joy of Jesus to Give his life for you and me then be raised 3 days later and know he is sitting at the right hand of his father waiting for the time when he says.... "my son it is time to bring the church home".

 I know that I still have much to learn in my walk of faith. But I do know this. He is RISEN and because he gave his life for me and I have accepted his gift that he gave, I AM FREE.

 I love this song.


The sun was beating down inside the walls of stone and razor wire
As we made our way across the prison yard
I felt my heart begin to race as we drew nearer to the place
Where they say that death is waiting in the dark
The slamming doors of iron echoed through the halls
Where despair holds life within its cruel claws
But then I met a man whose face seemed so strangely out of place
A blinding light of hope was shining in his eyes
And with repentance in his voice he told me of his tragic choice
That led him to this place where he must pay the price
But then his voice grew strong as he began to tell
About the One he said had rescued him from hell, he said...

I'm free, yeah, oh, I have been forgiven
God's love has taken off my chains and given me these wings
And I'm free, yeah, yeah, and the freedom I've been given
Is something that not even death can take away from me
Because I'm free
Jesus set me free

We said a prayer and said goodbye and tears began to fill my eyes
As I stepped back out into the blinding sun
And even as I drove away I found that I could not escape
The way he spoke of what the grace of God had done
I thought about how sin had sentenced us to die
And how God gave His only Son so you and I could say...

I'm free, yeah, oh, I have been forgiven
God's love has taken off my chains and given me these wings
And I'm free, yeah, yeah, and the freedom I've been given
Is something that not even death can take away from me
Because I'm free
Jesus set me free

And if the Son has set you free
Oh, if the Son has set you free
Then you are free indeed
Oh, you are really free
If the Son has set you free
Oh, if the Son has set you free
Then you are free, really, really free

Oh, we're free yeah, oh, we have been forgiven
God's grace has broken every chain and given us these wings
And we're free, yeah, yeah, and the freedom we've been given
Is something that not even death can take from you and me
Because we're free, yeah, the freedom we've been given
Is something that not even death can take away from me
Because we're free, oh, we're free
We are free, we are free
The Son has set us free

If the Son has set you free
You are free indeed



Till Next Time 
Love Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment