Sunday, November 30, 2014

See The Glory

So in this week to give thanks we had a shorter class week ending on Wednesday. We had Frank Cirone the director over at our sister school Ravencrest come and do an overview of the Minor prophets. When you think about sharing Jesus with someone, where would you turn?
Matthew, Mark, Luke, John? You would never think to start with the Minor prophets. Well guess what? You can. We went through all 12 of the Minor prophets and how all of them while not only telling many people and nations to repent of what they are doing so that destruction does not come upon them, they also have many great depictions of Christ coming. It was very fast paced this week since we didn't have much time before families would be here on Wednesday. When I saw that this was going to be the topic for the week I was very much encouraged, seeing that I will be teaching out of Jonah when our NYC trip rolls around. Which is only about 2 weeks away now. Just the fact that I saw how the book of Jonah is a great way to God's love and justness, now being confirmed by a man who has been teaching that same thought out of these prophets was  a great feeling. Something I had never noticed before is why God wanted to save Nineveh.

Jonah 4:11 - NET

Should I not be even more concerned about Nineveh, this enormous city? There are more than one hundred twenty thousand people in it who do not know right from wrong, as well as many animals!"

The term that is used when it refers to people not knowing right from wrong most likely is referencing children. So think about this, Jonah is so concerned with wanting those who have done wrong to get what is coming to them that he totally overlooks those who are young and do not know the difference. Yet God sees this and that's why he wanted Jonah to go. Not just so that those who were doing wrong could have a chance to repent but also to save the children of the nation. 
So I will ask this question, next time we want someone to get whats coming to them, we should ask ourselves is there someone that has had no understanding of whatever the sin may be that the outcome of the punishment will effect? I am not sure why I asked that question but I felt compelled to type it up. 

Please forgive me as with how busy we were this week I did not think to take a lot of photos. We had around 120 people for Thanksgiving at the lodge. So everywhere you turned there was people. Many of the students parents were out for a long weekend. I was blessed to be able to hang out with my buddy Luke and his family on Thanksgiving. It was nice to be with a big family as I am away from mine. As luck would have it the were a family of 8 so it was about as close as I could get without being home. I spent the day on the mountain, that's one I can check of the bucket list. Snowboarding on Thanksgiving, doesn't get much cooler than that, no pun intended.  Wait why not? Pun intended hahaha. 
Dinner was good but just not the same. I was missing my Gramma's Green bean casserole, my dad's Butternut Squash, my mamma's cheesy pineapple dish, and my Mimi's Apple pie. Just some of what I didn't have on my plate. But don't get me wrong I was thankful. 
We had the great privilege of being able to hear about Torchbearers from 3 generations of the Thomas family. We started with our own director Dan talking about future. Then we had his grandmother the wife of the founder talk to us about Torchbearers past. Finally we had his father talk to us about Torchbearers present. It was super cool to see how God has used this family to impact so many, and those who they impacted make an impact on so many more. 

This past Tuesday in preparation for the holiday and a bunch of visitors coming in, for my work day I spent 3 hours down in our shop painting railing for a deck project we are in the process of finishing. It was nice to be painting in a warm shop during a snowstorm.

It is only a few weeks now till I am home for Christmas break and believe me I am ready to be back for a bit. As I was boarding on the mountain again today I had my music on going down the run. As I was listening to my country music I began to miss home, family, and friends. But I began to think of how if I did not miss them for this short time I would have never had this awesome experience of going west, meeting new people, and trying new things. Least of all being able to go over 38mph down a snow covered mountain in Colorado!(Don't believe me? Check this pic out of my run stats.)  I would be at home doing the normal, and honestly probably okay with it. But not knowing what else is out there. So I challenge you don't be okay with the norm, get out and experience what God has created! Weather it be just going outside and getting off the couch or going across the country as I did. whatever it may be do it before your chance is gone. There is so much God has created that we can enjoy, don't get caught up with small stuff when you can see the big stuff he has made!

So I will leave you with this-

I never did like the word mediocre
I never wanted it to be said of me (Oh no)
Just point me to the top and I'd go over (over)
Looking for the very best that could be

So
What is this thing I see
Going on inside of me
When it comes to the Grace of God
Sometimes it's like

I'm playing GameBoy standing in the middle of the Grand Canyon
I'm eating candy sitting at a gourmet feast
I'm wading in a puddle when I could be swimming in the ocean

Tell me what's the deal with me
Wake up and see the Glory

Every star in the sky tells His story
And every breeze is singing His song
All of creation is imploring (hey)
Come see this grand phenomenon
The wonder of His Grace
Should take my breath away
I miss so many things
When I'm content with
 
I'm playing GameBoy standing in the middle of the Grand Canyon
I'm eating candy sitting at a gourmet feast
I'm wading in a puddle when I could be swimming in the ocean


Till Next Time
Love Jared

A pic of the group from about a week ago

No comments:

Post a Comment